Post #1

Currently present...

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 150

http://www.mesadynamics.com/Home.html

The two that I've explored:
1) Stainless
2) Gabtastik

So far, I'm rather pleased with Stainless, I've some issues with Gabtastik, likely due to my own faults anyway. But I like the fact that the apps all have small footprint. This can be attributed to the fact they are in a way piggybacking.

I'll be exploring the developer(s)' various apps shortly. So in the meantime, I'll be happy with my current 2 new toys. :D

Selling Points for Stainless:
a) Performance - Slow page loads (especially due to plugins such as Flash) can't affect the responsiveness of the browser or other tabs.
b) Stability - Crashed pages can't bring down the browser or other tabs.
c) Optimized - Once a tab is closed, the memory for that session is completely freed to the system.

sounds really good, i'm hoping that they keep this up. btw, alternative - fluidapp is another software one might want to try.

Borrowed Screenshots (for easy ref):
Stainless

Gabtastik
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jwa
post Nov 3 2008, 06:09 AM
Post #2

willfully misunderstood

Group: Editors
Member No.: 11

I like what I've seen from stainless so far. It is a bit slow to load a new page (but I assume that's due to it starting a new thread for it), and I have seen some weird things happen which will probably be ironed out as it matures. The only thing I'm really missing is an ad-blocker.

+Quote Post
cheerful
post Nov 3 2008, 06:32 AM
Post #3

Currently present...

it actually loads pages pretty fast on my end (not because of cache). those sites that i tried had quite a bit of adverts and flash and i notice that those were the last to load (not that i'm complaining hahaa) but as you've pointed out, it lacks an ad-blocker and as i've mentioned, not a feature-rich browser (mmm did i mention that above or i shared that with another friend over IM?) anyways ... what you've said pretty much concur with what i feel too.

for me, i hope that development con't. i use several browsers for different needs, and i really appreciate the fact that it spawn multiple processes (pros and cons actually) to address certain concerns. and also, as mentioned, hopefully it does live up to the name of superior memory management.

jwa, what sites if i may ask, are loading slower for you? i'll love to try them out myself too. i'm done limited testing so far as i am like you a new user to Stainless.

+Quote Post
jwa
post Nov 3 2008, 11:04 PM
Post #4

willfully misunderstood

I guess I should clarify, I mean it's slower when opening a new tab or window. As I said I believe this is due to it opening a new thread. It really isn't that big of a slow down though, less than a second.

+Quote Post
cheerful
post Nov 4 2008, 03:14 PM
Post #5

Currently present...

ah ic ic.
have you found the setting where new tabs open in the same window? i don't seem to see it anywhere.

+Quote Post
jwa
post Mar 9 2009, 04:15 AM
Post #6

willfully misunderstood

Stainless 0.5.3 has been released. Among other things, this now has a nifty little bookmark column on the left of the browser screen (as can be seen in the screenshot in the first post). I like how minimal it is, and even though it just shows the favicon, if you hover you can see the url. I'm not sure if it's better than the normal vertical bookmark bar, but I like it so far.

Stainless is progressing quite nicely, IMHO. Still needs ad-blocking support (or at least the ability to tie in Safari AdBlock), or support for a custom CSS which can be used to block ads. But other than that, it's quite usable as a day to day browser.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 11:32 AM