> A Snow Leopard VM on Mac OS Lion, 06/07/2011 - Your reactions
Options
machmeter
post Jul 6 2011, 06:56 PM
Post #1

Belgian Foundry

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,632

The disappearance of Rosetta was for us one of the biggest flaws of Mac OS Lion. We had said previously that we would look into the possible virtualization of Snow Leopard on Lion, and we have now done so.
We decided to go with the most simple solution, by using VirtualBox 4.0, which has several advantages, the first one being that it is free, and it supports OS X (Theoretically OS X Server as well), but it has some limitations. We were unable to run the VM (Virtual Machine) on more than one processor, Snow Leopard was always in a window on top of Lion, and the resolution was limited at 1024x768. Those limitations usually don't occur on more complex but also more expensive VM solutions. Despite these few limitations, it is possible to have a virtual Snow Leopard computer on a Lion computer.

The VM window with the installation screen of Mac OS Snow Leopard. Lion is in the back.

Software Update is available with the VM.

Mac OS 10.6.8 and 10.7 side by side.

We just had to follow the instructions to create a VM of the software, to create a disk image with a size set at 20 GB, and to launch the installation of SL with the DVD. As you can see on the screenshots, it was even possible to get Snow Leopard up to date.
To share files, it is also very simple, type command+K in Snow Leopard and enter the IP address of your computer on the network. You will then be able to lout its disks.

We have not tested the solution extensively (not yet), but we were at least able to launch software such as Rosetta!

It will of course be a lot more comfortable to do that with more advanced VM solutions, such as VMWare Fusion, but for now the software doesn't allow the installation of OS X Client. We now hope that such limitation will disappear, especially since Apple now officially authorizes the virtualization of OS Lion Client, while it used to be reserved to OS X Server on previous versions of Mac OS X.
By Machmeter, original by Lionel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
grahamperrin
post Jul 7 2011, 02:54 PM
Post #2

Green Apple

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,436

QUOTE (machmeter @ Jul 6 2011, 06:56 PM) *
… resolution was limited at 1024x768 …

A change to resolution can be made at the command line but will not take effect until the guest is started or restarted.

+Quote Post
Steve247
post Aug 11 2011, 04:35 AM
Post #3

Green Apple

Member No.: 12,765

Hello,
I installed virtualbox and Snow Leopard 10.6.8 but twice now, a day or two later I get an error saying my my virtual machine is "inaccessible". How do I fix this?

Thanks for any help,
Steve

+Quote Post
hank
post Sep 11 2011, 05:15 PM
Post #4

Green Apple

Member No.: 14,594

There's a large website dedicated to VirtualBox -- it's entirely volunteer work. Note-- be careful to follow directions. Read first --look for answers already there. They are quick to delete questions unless you've followed all the directions. The virtualbox documentation is -also- volunteer work.

Start here: http://www.google.com/search?q=virtualbox+...ne+inaccessible

+Quote Post
michig54
post Jul 8 2012, 01:44 AM
Post #5

Green Apple

Member No.: 14,905

How was this achieved? I am using Virtual Box 4.0.16 on Lion. I have the original Snow Leopard Install disc. I created a partition, it installs, restarts but never boots properly. What am I missing? I cannot find any how to's on this. Can I get some sort of explanation on the process. Thank you!!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 04:07 AM